Sunday, February 17, 2008

Return to Rio

Well, Carlo and I survived another crazy visit to Rio de Janeiro! We have just barely returned to our regular daily routine, but we're still having problems getting used to the cold weather again.
We had such a great time! I was happy to find myself communicating with our Brazilian friends with much more comfort. My portuguese is still really primitive, but its getting better. At least this time I didn't have to have Carlo (aka: translator) at my side at all times so that I could communicate. I could actually manage on my own a little.

What up What up!? A dogg and biggie C just arrived in Rio!!

Before the Carnaval celebrations began, Carlo and I went with some friends to visit the Cristo on Corcovado. Our driver was extremely knowledgeable and took us on a little tour of Rio before we arrived at the statue.

Group photo! Our driver stopped at a lookout spot in the middle of the forest where you could see the statue. See it behind us?

Even though it was my second time visiting the statue, I was still overwhelmed by how beautiful it is. It really is incredible.

Once the festivities start, Rio becomes CRAZY!! Seriously crazy! The streets everywhere are crammed full of people dancing, drinking and doing things most would rather not see!! (like urinating in public so they don't have to miss out on valuable party time)
The streets are packed!!

You have to be careful not to get separated from friends in these crowds.

As you can imagine, whenever crowds of this size gather, the weirdos start to surface!! Endless people watching entertainment!!

<
After four days of celebration, we were very happy to have a few days left in Rio to relax and enjoy the best part: THE BEACH!! I have never seen beaches as beautiful as those in Rio. I may not be as well traveled as some of the other family members, but I would be willing to bet that the Brazilian beaches are some of the most beautiful in the world.
Look at that sunset!

I love these photos...the sunset made the lighting perfect, almost looks like a fake backdrop, right?

These are our best friends Kevin and Alex. They live in our same building in NYC, it was great sharing this vacation with such close friends

I love the way the mountains seem to flow gradually into the ocean, creating these cool little islands along the coast. Like the ones you can see behind Carlo and I here.

Every day at sunset, the Cariocas (people of Rio) stay at the beach until after the sun goes down. Then, they all stand and thank the sun for a beautiful day with a standing ovation! It gave me the chills the first time I experienced this. They are such a passionate people.


We cannot wait to go back!!
Amms









4 comments:

Josh Carver said...

Great pics! I can now thank Ammon and Carlo for reminding me how great Rio is and all the things I was going to work on this evening will be put off for another day as I go through my pictures of Rio and email a few of my friends who still live there.

What a wonderful place, I am very jealous of Ammon and Carlo. For the record I think that Ammon may be under-exaggerating how crazy Rio can get during carnival!

Thanks for the pics!

J

Chris and Mari Spiker said...

First of all, HOW BEAUTIFUL. I am so jealous. That beach looked incredible, and I LOVE that they gave a standing ovation! I can't believe you didn't tell me that! How cool! Second, Chris can't believe how ripped you, Carlo and all your friends are! haha. I think he wants in on the secret..
You guys look like you had a great trip, next time you go back, BRING US!!! We love the post!
PS. Was that a GUY in the pink princess outfit with the big fake boobies?! hahahah

manhattan crew said...

OK, can we go back now? Mari, you and Chris can go with us anytime you guys want, really, I am officially inviting you guys. And to answer your question: yes, that was a guy in the pink costume. In fact there were like 6 of them wearing the same costume walking around as a group. You can spell: SCARY. I don't know how they did it but that huge red mouth actually moves as if they are sending you a kiss...haha ( oh NO ).
The trip was amazing.

Carlo

team ecuador said...

These pictures are awesome! I'd give anything to see a sunset like that every day...those people at the beach are SO lucky! Rio sounds and looks like a fun place to visit and carnival would definitely be quite the experience. haha

Lorena