Friday, February 15, 2008

What it takes to feed a family...

I thought this was pretty cool. I have no idea who put it together, but it is pretty telling, or, at the very least, interesting.

Here are some pictures from several different families across the globe showing what they eat in one week as a family. It is interesting to note not only the size and the cost they incur to feed their family (and how it differs from country to country), but also the types of foods that are avaliable in each country.

I don't know about you, but it really makes me grateful for what we have and at the same time it makes me feel gluttonous for having such abundance. I hope we never take what we have for granted and look for ways to help others and share what we have been so richly blessed with.

Ok, check this out:

Germany:
The Melander family of Bargteheide Food expenditure for one week: 375.39 Euros or $500.07


United States:
The Revis family of North Carolina (Sure hope most American families eat more fresh fruits and vegetables and less junk food than this family.) Food expenditure for one week $341.98


Italy:
The Manzo family of Sicily Food expenditure for one week: 214.36 Euros or $260.11


Mexico:
The Casales family of Cuernavaca Food expenditure for one week: 1,862.78 Mexican Pesos or $189.09


Poland:
The Sobczynscy family of Konstancin-JeziornaFood expenditure for one week: 582.48 Zlotys or $151.27


Egypt:
The Ahmed family of CairoFood expenditure for one week: 387.85 Egyptian Pounds or $68.53


Peru:
The Ayme family food expenditure for one week: $31.55


Bhutan:
The Namgay family of Shingkhey VillageFood expenditure for one week: 224.93 ngultrum or $5.03


Chad:
The Aboubakar family of Breidjing CampFood expenditure for one week: 685 CFA Francs or $1.23

Makes you think a little bit doesn't it?

3 comments:

Chris and Mari Spiker said...

WOW. The African one is heart wrenching to me. Only half a gallon of milk! I like this post Cim. And I agree, lets hope we don't waste what we have & be grateful for our blessings. It can always be worse...

manhattan crew said...

I had seen some of these photos in a magazine before and I also found it extremely interesting. I feel so embarassed for us Americans when I see the amount and TYPE of food that the average family eats in a week. So sad.
Great post Cim.
Amms

Josh Carver said...

This is amazing, it really makes you start to think about how blessed we are and how much we just expect.

On a side note, I see why "ab" is getting more robust by the week.

J