Monday, July 16, 2007

Snape: Friend or Foe


As I have been observing the blog updates from the other half of the world down here in Santiago, I have seen some great contributions from everyone sharing family events and personal experiences. Now, I feel it is my duty as the favorite brother-in-law (no offense Chris, I cannot help my extremely charming and loveable nature) to help everyone get back on the right track.


Let's step aside for a moment from the family bonding, water fights, games and Carlo's huge guns to get back to the important things in life--the discussion as to whether Severus Snape is a friend or foe--
As the final installment of Harry Potter will arrive this Saturday around the globe, I'd like to take my formal position now: Severus Snape is a good guy. Yes, yes, many will disagree and say that Dumbledore was wrong about him and that Dumbledore rarely makes a mistake but when he does they're "catastrophic;" however, the greatest wizard in the world (who was able to handle Voldemort with little effort) allowed himself to be taken over by a unskilled student (Malfoy) and then killed by someone of obvious lesser skill. And I'm not buying the "he didn't have his wand" excuse.
Although there are many things that have led me to take this position, my foundation lies in two points. As Harry tries to take down Snape at the end of the last book, Snape says two important things. First, after knocking Harry down he tells (teaches) Harry he will never succeed unless he learns to do his spells silently. Next, after being called a coward, Snape in a very offended way, says, "How dare you call me a coward!", (in my opinion) referring to the very, very difficult choice he just had to make regarding Dumbledore.
Also, let's also go back to book five, who was it that sent the "Order" to rescue Harry and the others in the Ministry? Also, we can all remember the "Unbreakable Vow" Snape had to give to Malfoy's mother in the beginning of book six in order to not compromise his position with the Death Eaters. As for the intense disdain Snape has for Harry, this can be easily attributed to Snape's relationship with Harry's father.
Regarding Dumbledore's willingness to die, that is easily seen in his constant protection of Harry and recognition that Harry must be the one to take out Voldemort.
These are just a couple of reasons I have taken this side of the debate and I welcome the rebuttals to come. For those surprised that I even care, I will admit that I have even surprised myself with the fact that I am quite anxious to find out how the story ends...
Take Care Y'all
Patrick

9 comments:

lauren said...

I disagree, Snivelus Snape is definately a FOE. I have read the series now all the way through, 5 seperate times, and I a have found many conversations, and long forgotten scenes to support my therory. Too many to name. For details just call....This HP obsession might be embarassing to any but our fam- at least we are crazy together:).

Cim Carver said...

I agree, Snape is a friend for sure. How do I come to this conclusion, well, I just flipped a coin and it was heads...so Snape is a good guy.

Actually, in all seriousness, I really do think that Snape is a good guy and is playing a key role in the ultimate destruction of Senor V because of his unique position as an EX Death Eater. Plus, let's face it, Dumbledore is the man and there is no way that Snape pulled the wool over his eyes all this time.

Nerds unite! We are only a few days away from a serious drop in productivity and attention given to our kids as we read the final book. I am going to make a rule here, no discussing the book on the blog until EVERYONE has had a chance to finish it!

-Cim

manhattan crew said...

First of all: I agree with Cim...no commenting on the blog about the upcoming book until everyone has read it!! Because some of us are "slow readers" (aka stupid hairdressers).

Second: Snape is without a doubt a Friend. I don't know why...I just have a feeling about these kinds of things. Call it a 6th sense if you will. The fact is, I am very rarely wrong when I trust this inner instinct and I suggest you all trust my gut too.

And why is Patrick jealous of Carlo's guns? I've seen his pythons....they're HUGE!!!
Ammon

lauren said...

If there is no commenting on the book until everyone is done- I expect SPEED!! I need someone to talk to- after my all nighter, that I am sure to have. And besides that, we all know I am the fastest reader in the family.... even if it doesn't translate to my writting skills. :)!!

Josh Carver said...

I agree no discussing the book until EVERYONE has read it!! Since I haven't read any books so far, I can't comment on Snape, which one is he again? Is he the old guy with the ZZ-Top beard?

I will get started right away with book one, so with my super reading skills and all my free time I should be done with book one by....the time Jacob is old enough to read it to me in my future rest home.

Come on people who reads anymore! You guys all know that these books are movies right? Way faster!!

Josh

Chris and Mari Spiker said...

First of all, I agree with Josh. Who READS?! Since I only read 2 1/2 of these books (PJ said what you all are probably thinking, "HOW CAN YOU STOP IN THE MIDDLE OF BOOK 3!?!"). Its true. Although I wont lie, I am a little sad Im behind!
That being said, with my vast knowlege of the books and the movies I agree with those of you who think he is a FRIEND! He has to be, I have that 6th sense like Ammon, plus if Cim flipped a coin it HAS TO BE TRUE!
Ps.. Patty Pat you crack me up. This was my favorite posting so far. You brought all of our focus off of "life" and back to whats REALLY important!
OH AND FOR ALL YOUR INFORMATION, Patrick REALLY likes to be called any of the following :PAT, PATTY or a combo of the two!

Crystal said...

Okay first of all, I too agree with Cim, no comments. However, I'm not exactly a speedy reader and I know Mom wont even start reading it until August... So should peoples (Lauren and any other speedy readers) patience run out with us just give a spoiler warning and we will avoid the post until we are done. Secondly, clearly Snape is a friend! I mean come on people, the signs cant be much clearer!! Many of my supporting evidences were posted by Patrick (as Lauren and I have discussed this in depth) so I wont go into it. However now that I have made such a definite statement, I , of course, will end up completely wrong...oh well at least I will finally get to the end of the story already!! :)

Team Ecuador said...

Oooohh...now we are getting into some interesting stuff! Patrick, I wanted to personally thank you for helping us to find our way back to the light with this topic. I mean, all this talk about family and memories is great...but we all know what is truly important---Harry Potter!

I am jumping on the Patrick wagon by saying that Snape is a friend. I think that the books would not make as big of an effort painting him as Harry's enemy if he actually was. If Snape was bad, they would not continually show all of his bad tendencies because it would not be as big a surprise in the end. The books keep hinting that Snape is bad through his thoughts and attitudes, but they are just setting him up to suprise people in the end. Dumbledore also hinted several times to Harry (and others) that he trusts Snape completely, even though he used to be a Death Eater. We are going to find out in book 7 what Snape did to convince big D that he was a changed wizard. Ultimately, Dumbledore is the shiznit and anything he says goes.

And might I add....Patrick, it is mighty refreshing to see you jump on the H.P. super fan club! What next....a Belgariad posting perhaps?

lauren said...

You are all followers.. and I am very disapointed. I will either be doing the victory dance alone or feeling the defeat alone.
I must clarify though- I do think that snape is all about saving his own arse- so he will do what ever suits that in the end(slitheryns always look out for #1 first). But definately at the end of book six..EVIL!!!!!